Pleasant Stroll at Delamere
This walk on the Blakemere trail in Delamere has been rated in the Forestry Commission's top 10 autumn spots.
The site says bird life and beautiful views over Blakemere Moss make it a must at this time of year as well as the chance to discover the area's 'secret spot'.
Here's the route map for this easy 2.7mile walk with instructions below.
1. Start your walk from the forest centre and head out along the path following the red waymarkers. Take a sharp right then continue following the markers as the path winds through the start of the forest.
2. As you head deeper into the forest take in the mix of beech, oak and chestnut trees.
This is one of the best spots for autumn colour and you will be surrounded by a medley of orange, gold and yellow leaves.
Later in autumn, when the leaves begin to fall, the floor becomes a carpet of copper, and you can enjoy the wonderful autumnal sound of leaves crunching underfoot.
3. Next you will need to turn right at post 57 to head towards Blakemere Moss Lake. As you walk out through the trees towards the edge of the lake you’ll find a bench.
4. When you’re ready to continue, follow the red waymarkers around the lake. This is a beautiful part of the walk with vibrant autumn colour on your left and open views across the water on your right. As you walk look out for the birdlife on the mere.
5. The bench here provides a lovely peaceful place to stop.
6. Carry on around the lake until you reach the path that will take you to the left and back to the forest centre.
7 (secret spot). Before heading back, enjoy a moment to yourself in Delamere's 'secret spot' with views over Linmere moss and up towards Old Pale.
Notice the contrasting golden larch and evergreen pine against the array of autumnal colours from the broadleaves found here.