NEW BRIGHTON
New Brighton located on the righthand tip of the wirral peninsula was in a very good position for the defending the port of Liverpool having a large group of rocks jutting out into the Mersey on which a lighthouse had been built. This gained a neighbour with Fort Perch Rock in 1825-1829 at which time it was an island at high time but a causeway constructed later now makes it reachable at all times. The fort is approx 4,000 sq yds in area, the walls are between 24 to 32 ft high, the towers 40ft and originally boasted a drawbridge and also a Tuscan portal in 1899 it housed 3 x 6" and 16 x 32 pounder guns. The total cost of the fort was £26,965.0s.8d it is made of red sandstone quarried in Runcorn and today is available as a party venue, rock concerts, and other musical events.
The area up to the 1800s was a place of smugglers and wreckers, but in 1830 James Atherton bought the land at Rock Point with which he planned to develope as a seaside resort for the gentry. Lots of building ensued and it became a popular holiday venue for scousers and mill workers fromLancashire the bigger houses being used as cheap hotels.A pier (1860) and promenade to Seacombe (1890) kept the punters turning up, whilst the front started to extend towards Leasowe. New Brighton Tower opened in 1900 the tallest at the time in GB but only lasted till 1919 when it was scrapped due to lack of maintenance during the Great War. The Tower Ballroom continued on until devoured by fire in1969 by which time the resort was in severe decline, the mersey ferries ceasing in 1971 when the ferry pier and landing stage went the same way as the Tower. Two final blows were suffered by the removal of the pier (1977) then the famous open air bathing pool was storm damaged (1990) and the bulldozers did the rest.
The Neptune Project muted in 2004 was to regenerate the area at a £70m cost has been rejected in 2007 by HMG and a amended plan adapted instead. The New Brighton Tower F.C formed in 1896 were champions of the Lancashire League in the 97-98 season, promoted to the 2nd Division of the football league and managed 5th and 4th in the next two years unfortunately poor support and high costs forced the disbandment in 1901.New Brighton A.F.C. (formed 1921) played football league div II from 1923-1951 which made New Brighton one of the smallest places to boast a league team, was it that Grump played for New Brighton ?? as I heard , if so he must have been a fair player and looking at the strip he was wearing it could well be so.
(click on pic to compare)
HOYLAKE
Hoylake situated on the lefthand side of the Wirral started life as a village called Hoose, the name was taken from Hoyles Lake which was a stretch of water betwixt Hilbre and Dove Point with a depth of 20ft protected by a sandbank called Hoyles Bank, this was a safe anchorage for ships too large to sail via the Dee to Chester.Two lighthouses were used to steer into the lake the first ones built in 1760's, a lower movable hut and a upper fixed structure

both were rebuilt 100 years later only the upper survives being part of a dwelling on Valentia road it last shone on 14th May 1886. The Royal Hotel built by Sir John Stanley in 1792 was visited by steam packet boats sailing between Liverpool and the North Wales Coast, around 1850 a racecourse was laid out in the grounds, the eventual silting up of the sea passages finished Hoylake as a port and the Royal disappeared under the ball and chain in the 1950's. Hoylakes lido opened on the prom in 1913 and was rebuilt in the '20's, the
council then passed it to a trust in 1976 but as with most of the old swimming baths it shut its doors for the last time in 1981.
Hoylake was a urban district council till 1974 it was then swallowed by the Metropolitan Borough of Wirral this very much dischuffed some of the residents as they were now not classed as Cheshire but part of Merseyside, the campaign is still under steam and whilst being unsuccessful in the quest a small morsel of comfort was the changing of the postcode from L47 to CH47. One claim to fame is the Royal Liverpool Golf Club built on the site of the Royal Hotel racecourse in 1869 is the second oldest links in
England, and has hosted major golf events the latest being the 2006 open won by the redoubtable T.Woods. Sand Yacht Championships are also a feature to be seen on the banks a quarter of a mile offshore.
WEST KIRBY
West Kirby once hailed as West Kyrkeby in Wirhale(1285) owes it name to the viking 'Kirkjubyr' or village with a church stands just short of the top lefthand corner of the wirral. The town surrounds the railway station, has a victorian promenade and the Marine Lake holding a hugh pool of water allowing sailing at low tide. The original wall (1899) met its demise in 1985 and a new lake was fashioned built slightly bigger at the trifling sum of £750,000. The town center railway still runs to Liverpool Central but the Hooton branch which had its own station in West Kirkby referred to as West Kirby joint opened in 1886 till it closed in 1962, and went through the Wirral east coast villages having stops at Kirby Park, Caldy, Thurstaston, Heswall, two Parkgate Stations, Neston North, Hadlow Road and finally Hooton. In 1973 it was turned into the Wirral Way a pleasant if somewhat narrow walk.The picture show the start at what was West Kirby joint Station

now alas a housing estate
George Mallory the ill-fated Everest climber who on his third attempt to scale the mountain disappeared in June 1924 with fellow climber Andrew Irving after being sighted on the North East Ridge a few hundred metres from the summit, attended school in the town. After seventy five years his body was dicovered on Saturday, May 1, 1999 at 27,000 feet by members of The Mallory & Irvine Research Expedition it has never been established whether the unfortunate pair had reached the top.
Mallory's grandson, also called George Mallory, reached the summit of Everest in 1995 via the North Ridge with six other climbers as part of the American Everest Expedition 1995. He left a picture of his grandparents at the summit citing 'Unfinished business'.

next THURSTASTON-CALDY-PARKGATE
TOP
home Page
Welcome Page

doobydoo@sufferingsmoke .com  ©